Today I have for you a delicious Shakshuka Israeli Breakfast, Vegan eggs, gently poached in a hot, spicy vegetable pan. Made from simple ingredients that you almost always have in the house. (Shakshuka) is a healthy breakfast from Israel and other parts of the Middle East, but it is also very tasty at other times of the day.
A simple combination of green peppers, onions, and ripe tomatoes. With garlic, spices, and poached eggs.
I’ve also tried vegan shakshuka variants in which the eggs were replaced with fava bean porridge or hummus, but that was always only half the dish for me. I make my Shakshuka true to the original and with ‘real’ vegan, poached eggs.
Shakshuka is now number one of my favorite vegan egg dishes. Here is the recipe:
Shakshuka, Israeli Breakfast
1 Onion, in strips
1 Green Bell Pepper, in strips
2 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika powder, noble sweet 1 teaspoon
paprika powder, hot pink
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
6 ripe tomatoes, diced
120 ml tomato strained
A small one Bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
A small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
4 tbsp MyEy (egg white), mixed with 14
tbsp water 1 high tbsp MyEy (egg yolk), mixed with 2
tbsp water 2 PR Kalak Namak (Black Salt)
salt and pepper
Optional: white bread, sliced
- Heat some olive oil in an ovenproof pan. Fry the paprika and onion in it, about 5 minutes, until both are brownish. Stir often.
- Add the garlic and the spices, fry for another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thick and reduced.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° top and bottom heat.
- Make four hollows in the Shakshuka sauce. If you don’t have an ovenproof pan, you can transfer the sauce to a baking dish. Carefully pour the vegan egg white into the wells. Spread four yolks on top with a tablespoon of the egg yolk.
Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack for about 10 minutes, until the vegan egg has the desired consistency. Sprinkle the vegan, poached egg with the Kalak Namak.
- Sprinkle the Shakshuka with coriander and parsley and best enjoy it straight out of the pan.